He loves us, He cares about us, He desires to be in right relationship with us, and He is guiding and directing our lives in ways we can’t even imagine if we choose to draw near and press into Him.
Here are 9 things to remember when talking to God:
- Don’t tell God what you think He wants to hear, tell God what’s really going on in your heart. Be real.
- Be honoring. God might be your best friend, but He remains the creator of the universe.
- Be respectful. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
- Prayer is a reciprocal exchange of ideas with God. When you’re honest with God, be prepared for Him to be honest with you. Listen.
- Don’t pray to impress God with big fancy words. Think conversation. Let your words flow naturally like any in-person conversation with a good friend.
- It’s not how long you pray or how eloquent you sound, it’s Who answers that matters. Surrender your heart.
- Ask for guidance. It’s just as important to ask Him what you need as it is to tell Him how you feel.
- If you talk to God only when you have a crisis, He loves you enough to let you stay in one. Think consistency.
- Talk to God about your daily needs. He already knows what you need but He enjoys your request. He enjoys quality time and conversing. It’s about friendship.
“The Lord is close to all who call on him, yes, to all who call on him in truth.” -Psalm 145:18